Pages

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Super Fast Yummy Chicken Pumpkin Chili

SO GOOD! and SO EASY!!

Hello everyone!
For our first recipe post, I wanted to share something that everyone would enjoy, and make quite easily no matter how busy or full their day is. There are no funky hard to find ingredients here, and anyone can adapt this recipe (just swap out chicken for your meat or meatless product of choice! adjust macros accordingly)
My family LOVES this recipe, and we make it often, as it is so simple and fast to put together. Who doesn't have nights when they are really tired, and just don't feel like making a huge mess in the kitchen? WAIT! Before you dial up some crappy take-out food place to have junk delivered to your door, make this instead!! We always have everything in this recipe on hand in our pantry. When I go to the grocery store, I always pick up the ingredients, because I just know, that some night, I am going to be burnt out!...yummy pumpkin chili to the rescue!!
For people who are thinking, "Pumpkin??" I have to say, YOU WILL NOT TASTE IT AT ALL. It blends right in to the base, and it makes for some very satisfying delicious chili. There are a ton of vitamins and fiber in pumpkin, and it's a really easy way to add yet another veggie into your meals.
So what is in my "magical chili"??? 


First up, as you can see, everything is conveniently packaged for you, so its always there waiting for you to whip up a batch...As for the chili seasoning, this is what I had on hand. ***NOTE- I ordered myself a box of Mrs. Dash Chili seasoning mix. This is the lowest sodium chili mix out there. I don't like to load my food full of salt, as it causes bad bloating. Who wants to look like they are carrying an extra 10 pounds around on their gut?? Am I right?


OOPS! I forgot to add this into the picture! But yes...you add this whole can.

This is what I will be using from now on...

YAY NO SODIUM!!!

When I serve up the chili, I like to add some accouterment. Into the bowl I first add some....
Chopped Romaine lettuce. You want romaine as it adds crunch! 

Then I add my chili on top of the romaine...
Hot chili anyone??
On top of the chili I add some low fat Mexican cheese blend (usually a half serving), and then...

Chopped cherry tomatoes

Diced onion

And this is how it looks when it is ready to eat...SO YUMMY!


AND FOR THE MACROS....

This is not figuring in the lettuce, tomato, onion or cheese, so you will need to add that into your macro's as well.

And the recipe....

Amy's Super Fast Yummy Chicken Pumpkin Chili

Ingredients:
2 cans of 12.5 oz Chicken (or equivalent) 
3/4 cup of canned pumpkin (pure pumpkin! Not pie mix!)
1 can of low sodium black beans (or regular if that is all you can find) rinsed
1 can of low sodium pinto beans, rinsed
1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies (121g)
a chili seasoning packet (low sodium if you can find it!)
1 can of organic tomato sauce (15 oz)

How to make:
So EASY! Just open all cans, rinse the beans and measure out the pumpkin, and dump into a pot, and heat! THAT'S IT! So easy, and if you have little kids, this would be something easy they could "learn to cook."If your chili is a bit too thick, just add little bits of water, until it is the consistency of your liking.


You can't go wrong with this recipe. It is so great. I love the crunch of the lettuce with the warm creaminess of the chili and cheese! Then you have these little bursts of onion and tart tomato. SO AWESOME! it really hits the spot on a cold night!!

So fix yourself up a batch this evening!! If you have any questions, feel free to ask, by leaving a comment below. Let us know how you like our chili.

Have a great day today!
Stay fit, healthy and happy!

Amy, John, Ciarra and Soren

No comments:

Post a Comment